AnthroPortugal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fórum de Antropologia e Genética

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Postem os vossos resultados do 23andMe (ou outro teste comercial)
The Portuguese of the US  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2019 12:15 pm by Endovelicus

» The Portuguese of the US
The Portuguese of the US  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2019 5:03 am by CKMordi

» Eurogenes K11 e K12
The Portuguese of the US  I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2019 11:30 pm by CKMordi

» Eurogenes Global 25
The Portuguese of the US  I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2019 9:06 pm by Endovelicus

» Eurogenes Hunter Gatherer vs. Farmer Admixture Proportions
The Portuguese of the US  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2019 8:42 pm by CKMordi

» Eurogenes EUtest
The Portuguese of the US  I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2019 2:21 pm by Endovelicus

» Eurogenes K12b
The Portuguese of the US  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2019 10:36 pm by Endovelicus

» Eurogenes K10
The Portuguese of the US  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2019 10:07 pm by Endovelicus

» Eurogenes K9
The Portuguese of the US  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2019 10:04 pm by Endovelicus

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Most Viewed Topics
A pigmentação dos portugueses
Eurogenes Global 25
Eurogenes K13
The Cagots / Os Agotes
Postem os vossos resultados do 23andMe (ou outro teste comercial)
World Medieval G25 Unscaled Calculator
What Music Are You Listening To? - Que Música Ouvem?
LM Genetics k36 report
Locate Portuguese Surnames
Map Lovers
Statistics
We have 16 registered users
The newest registered user is LusoAmerican

Our users have posted a total of 290 messages in 65 subjects

The Portuguese of the US

Go down 
AuthorMessage
CKMordi

CKMordi

Female

The Portuguese of the US  Empty
PostSubject: The Portuguese of the US    The Portuguese of the US  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2019 5:03 am

Not "Lusophone" per ce, but nevertheless, this is may best place to put anything about your diaspora. (If not, you may move it elsewhere.)

Although the Portuguese did not emigrate to the US in high numbers, and most who did dispersed through the country and left little impact,** there is one state where they moved in high numbers to make a cultural mark- Hawaii.

Most arrived in 1878* from Medeira (mostly), they have filled a very important niche in Hawaii as the blue collar backbone that keeps things running: nurses, teachers, construction workers, etc. Salt of the earth types, they have little crime and few social ills are attached to them.

But, as they worked under the Haole foremen during the era of sugar plantations, they get ribbed for being "second in command."  

Although considered white, they are not "Haole" but rather called something else - Pawdagees or Pukiki (more archaic).

At any rate, since this is about the "Lusophone" world, what about the language? Unfortunately, they lost their language. But, Pidgin, an English dialect spoken in Hawaii which a mish-mash of different languages, was influenced by Portuguese and has many loan words.
For example:
Babooz: Idiot  
Bambucha: Huge
Shishi: Urinate
etc.
(note: I couldn't more respectable examples in a pinch! XD)

Here is a video, a little cheeky in the Hawaiian style, which explains some of the culture, history, and language as well as Portuguese ribbing and jokes. Given how multicultural Hawaii is, there tends to be a lot of race jokes to help ease tensions. Everyone gets a turn at the whipping post.

At any rate:
The biggest, and most obvious influence of Portuguese culture in Hawaii is the Ukulele!

*Sailors began to arrive much earlier, jumping ship to live in paradise rather than work the whaling ships. This is where the term "Pukiki" comes from.
The first Portuguese recorded to have arrive was in the late 1700s. But there were few at the time so they did not make as much impact as those who came later.

Portuguese in the late 1800's were the only immigrant group to bring their children.
The Portuguese of the US  ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2F3%2F36%2FPortuguese_immigrant_family_in_Hawaii_during_the_19th_century
So schools were opened to them.

Although the language has been lost, they do try to keep the traditions alive.
The Portuguese of the US  E4eba6088b1917d2a4b94b3653619ce1

** Also some areas of California. I didn't even know about this until very recently. And, they like to bullfight!
Back to top Go down

The Portuguese of the US
Page 1 of 1